Testing with concurrent sessions

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Testing with concurrent sessions
Date: 2010-01-02 02:01:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

There has been periodic discussion here about allowing psql to deal
with multiple sessions, or possibly creating another tool to allow
this sort of test. Is anyone working on this?

It's very soon going to be critical that I be able to test particular
interleavings of statements in particular concurrent transaction sets
to be able to make meaningful progress on the serializable
transaction work. It would be wonderful if some of these scripts
could be integrated into the PostgreSQL 'make check' scripts,
although that's not an absolute requirement. I'm not really
concerned about performance tests for a while, just testing the
behavior of particular interleavings of statements in multiple
sessions. If psql isn't expected to support that soon, any
suggestions? Is pgTAP suited to this?

-Kevin