Re: Thoughts on statistics for continuously advancing columns

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Nathan Boley <npboley(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on statistics for continuously advancing columns
Date: 2009-12-30 16:46:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> We normally don't notice because most sets won't incur a penalty. We got a customer who
> has a single table that is over 1TB in size... We notice. Granted that is the extreme
> but it would only take a quarter of that size (which is common) to start seeing issues.

Right, and the only thing that makes this case less painful is that you
don't really need the stats to be updated quite as often in situations
with that much data. If, say, your stats say there's 2B rows in the
table but there's actually 2.5B, that's a big error, but unlikely to
change the types of plans you get. Once there's millions of distinct
values it's takes a big change for plans to shift, etc.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com