Re: Serializable implementation

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>,"Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Serializable implementation
Date: 2009-12-29 16:00:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Florian G. Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> wrote:

> I believe the hard part of implementing true serializability is
> not the actual SSI or S2PL algorithm, but rather the necessary
> predicate locking strategy.
>
> So I think checking how InnoDB tackles that and how much of it's
> code is invovled might give a more realistic estimate of the
> effort required.

Apologies, Florian. I never got your email, and somehow got the
impression from Greg's reply that you had led the discussion into
overly technical areas for this thread. I dug up your email in the
archives and found that the above was the entirety of your comment,
so I'll reply to that now, rather than my misapprehension. :-/

I agree that most of the work will be in the predicate locking area.
You're probably right that if I could isolate the lines of code
required for that in InnoDB it might get me to a more accurate
estimate of lines of code. And as Greg points out, it is bound to
be a bit more complex in PostgreSQL than in InnoDB.

At this point, though, I'm just looking for an "order of magnitude"
sort of estimate of complexity, since even a totally accurate line
count wouldn't do more than hint at the really important metrics --
how much money it will take, and how much risk of destabilizing
existing code there is. A certain amount of work is required to get
an accurate handle on those. That work may start soon, but we're
not there yet.

Thanks for the input.

-Kevin