Re: Advertising on the community blog

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Advertising on the community blog
Date: 2009-12-18 18:46:13
Lists: pgsql-www

Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 19:11 +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>
>>> I would remove the subcriber from planet.
>>>
>> I think that would be quite an overreaction.
>>

> I disagree. If we won't apply rules, why do we write it?

In some people's minds, "advertising" means you're trying to sell
something, whereas Theo's trying to buy something (in this case, some
future employee's soul). Now, a quick check of ye olde Merriam-Webster
suggests advertising is "the action of calling something to the
attention of the public..." which means that this is technically a
violation, and a knee-jerk banning could be justified if you really
wanted to be a jerk about it. But I think you need a clarification of
policy in this fuzzy area before you're justified in kicking people out
for violating it.

Had there been an explicit policy against soliciting for a job, I'm sure
the commentary about the changing role of the DBA--which is itself an
interesting topic I enjoyed reading his thoughts about and completely
appropriate for Planet distribution IMHO--would have been rewritten to
be more general and just ended with suggesting OmniTI likes to work with
such people instead.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com