Re: BUG #5248: Cannot find SSLEAY32.dll problem.

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Vincent Pinto <vincent_pinto(at)mentor(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5248: Cannot find SSLEAY32.dll problem.
Date: 2009-12-18 01:59:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 17/12/2009 6:10 PM, Vincent Pinto wrote:

> Bug reference: 5248
> Logged by: Vincent Pinto
> Email address: vincent_pinto(at)mentor(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.1.876
> Operating system: Windows XP SP3
> Details:
>
> We have an application that installs postgres.

How? Using the OneClick installer's silent/scripted install? From the
zip files? If the latter, how and where?

> But during the install,
> while it tries to start the database, and error "This application failed to
> start because SSLEAY32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may
> fix this problem." pops up.

SSLEAY32.DLL should be part of the PostgreSQL install and in the same
directory as the PostgreSQL binaries. Is it not?

> I tried reinstalling but that does not help. I also noticed on my earlier
> laptop that ssleay32.dll is not in the windows/system32 dir (many folks on
> various forums suggest to do so, but I did not do it because the db starts
> on the earlier machine, so why should it not start on the newer on?)

No, do *not* mess with WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 . People who tell you to install
random libraries there are almost certainly wrong, and are parroting
advice that used to apply back in the Windows 95/98 days before Windows
preferentially loaded libraries from the same directory as the application.

--
Craig Ringer