Re: Optimal platform for pg?

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Mark Williamson <thetazzbot(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgres(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgres(dot)org>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimal platform for pg?
Date: 2009-12-16 02:48:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 16/12/2009 10:31 AM, Mark Williamson wrote:
> What is the most ideal/optimal platform for postgresql? Linux
> (distro?), freebsd, windows, etc.

Pg has been around on UNIX-like platforms for longer than Windows, and
is better tested on those platforms. Its design is also more friendly
toward UNIX-like systems, being based on a connection-per-process rather
than connection-per-thread model - though that matters less with the NT
kernel used in all modern Windows flavours.

Of the UNIX-like systems, the vast majority of people on the list seem
to use a Linux flavour or FreeBSD. I mostly see Red Hat Enterprise,
FreeBSD, Ubuntu, Debian, and CentOS users when OS is mentioned.

I'd stick to whatever Linux/BSD you're most familiar with, personally.

Rather than worry about OS, though, your real issues are with hardware
selection. Getting a good quality RAID controller with battery backup,
plus plenty of disks in RAID 10 and plenty of RAM will make more
difference than about anything else.

--
Craig Ringer