Re: Hot Standby, release candidate?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hot Standby, release candidate?
Date: 2009-12-15 06:27:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 11:44 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> On mån, 2009-12-14 at 08:54 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>>> Wednesday because that seemed a good delay to allow review. Josh and I
>>> had discussed the value of getting patch into Alpha3, so that was my
>>> wish and aim.
>>>
>>> I'm not aware of any particular date for end of commitfest, though
>>> possibly you are about to update me on that?
>>>
>> Commit fests for 8.5 have usually run from the 15th to the 15th of next
>> month, but the CF manager may choose to vary that.
>>
>> FWIW, the alpha release manager may also vary the release timeline of
>> alpha3. ;-)
>>

> I'm hoping that the alpha release manager can wait until Wednesday,
> please.

At this point we've got 5 small to medium sized patches in the "Ready
for Committer" queue. Maybe that gets all done on Tuesday, maybe it
slips to Wednesday or later. It's not like a bell goes off tomorrow and
we're done; there's probably going to be just a little slip here.

In any case, it's certainly not the case that this is all done right now
such that the alpha gets packed on Tuesday just because it's the 15th.
It sounds like the worst case is that alpha would have to wait a day for
Hot Standby to be finally committed, which seems well worth doing if it
means HS gets that much more testing on it. It would be a help to
eliminate the merge conflict issues for the Streaming Replication team
by giving them only one code base to worry about merges against. And on
the PR side, announcing HS as hitting core and available in the alpha is
huge.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com