Re: Range types

From: Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Range types
Date: 2009-12-14 20:44:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> writes:
>> On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 14:23 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I'd prefer not to leave it to the user to decide whether a type is
>>> discrete or not.
>
>> I don't know how we can decide such a thing. Do you have any ideas?
>
> If the only interesting use-cases are ints and enums, maybe we could
> just hard-wire it.

I think dates could be added to that list as well. But any
implementation that doesn't do ranges of timestamptz are non-starters as
far as I'm concerned. Certainly int64 timestamps and numeric are doable.
And Jeff's period implementation supports float timestamps. I never use
float timestamps so I can only assume that he made it work.

Personally, I'd rather just see float timestamps go away. And if the
range types never supported float or float timestamps, I'd be ok with that.

Scott