Re: new CommitFest states

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new CommitFest states
Date: 2009-12-14 17:01:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_a_CommitFest
>>

> It seems to me that a patch could move from "Discussing review" to
> "Needs review" -- if the reviewer decided to discuss the approach
> before continuing the review process and the discussion confirms the
> approach as viable.

In that case, the patch would be in "Needs review" the whole time.
"Discussing review" is intended to be a "I'm done but not sure of the
next step for this patch" state the reviewer can use. In the situation
you described, the patch would never have left "Needs review". I just
made that more clear by documenting that it's shorthand for "discussing
review results".

I also added a transition path for a similar situation though, where the
discussion concludes the reviewer didn't do the right thing in the first
place (even though they thought they did) and they return to reviewing
after realizing what was missing.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com