compiling with Visual Studio

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: "Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: compiling with Visual Studio
Date: 2009-12-13 18:45:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm trying to get PL/R binaries built on Windows, which I have not been
able to do successfully since the switch to Visual Studio from MinGW in
PostgreSQL 8.3. For some reason the MinGW PL/R binary does not load in
the VS compiled Postgres. Everything works if I also build PostgreSQL
with MinGW, but most people want to grab the standard binary release of
Postgres and combine it with a precompiled binary PL/R.

So in any case, my questions are:

1) Can Postgres be compiled with VS 2008 yet?
2) If not, does anyone have a link for VS 2005? I haven't been able to
locate it on the MS site.
3) Once I get Postgres compiling under VS, is the compilation of contrib
libraries automated as part of the build, or is there anything special I
would need to do?

Thanks,

Joe