Re: Largeobject Access Controls (r2460)

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Largeobject Access Controls (r2460)
Date: 2009-12-11 07:17:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

KaiGai Kohei wrote:
> Takahiro Itagaki wrote:
>> KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Is it a right behavior, even if we have permission checks on large objects?
>> Can we use column-level access control here?
>>
>> REVOKE ALL ON pg_largeobject FROM PUBLIC;
>> => GRANT SELECT (loid) ON pg_largeobject TO PUBLIC;
>
> Indeed, it seems to me reasonable.
>
>> We use "SELECT loid FROM pg_largeobject LIMIT 1" in pg_dump. We could
>> replace pg_largeobject_metadata instead if we try to fix only pg_dump,
>> but it's no wonder that any other user applications use such queries.
>> I think to allow reading loid is a balanced solution.
>
> Right, I also remind this query has to be fixed up by other reason right now.
> If all the large objects are empty, this query can return nothing, even if
> large object entries are in pg_largeobject_metadata.
>
> Please wait for a while.

The attached patch fixes these matters.

* It adds "GRANT SELECT (loid) ON pg_largeobject TO PUBLIC;" during initdb
phase to resolve the matter pointed out.

* A few queries in pg_dump were fixed to select pg_largeobject_metadata
instead of pg_largeobject. If a dumpable large obejct is empty (it means
no page frames are on pg_largeobject), pg_dump misunderstand no such
large object is here.
We have to reference pg_largeobject_metadata to check whether a certain
large objct exists, or not.

Thanks,

$ diffstat ~/pgsql-blob-priv-fix.patch
doc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml | 3 !!!
src/bin/initdb/initdb.c | 1 +
src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c | 8 !!!!!!!!
src/test/regress/expected/privileges.out | 15 +++++++++++++++
src/test/regress/sql/privileges.sql | 8 ++++++++
5 files changed, 24 insertions(+), 11 modifications(!)
--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgsql-blob-priv-fix.patch text/x-patch 4.0 KB