Re: YAML

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: YAML
Date: 2009-12-08 00:07:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Not everything is sanely convertible into some sort of plugin. A plugin
>> mechanism for this would be FAR more trouble that it is worth, IMNSHO.
>>
>> We are massively over-egging this pudding (as a culinary blogger you
>> should appreciate this analogy).
>>

> OK, then let's just accept it. It's small, has a maintainer, is useful
> to some people, and doesn't create any wierd complications. I think,
> given the knowledge that YAML is now a subdialect of JSON it could
> potentially be made smaller, but I can't say how at the moment.

Actually, it's the other way, JSON is a subset of YAML.

I was in fact prepared to commit this patch, despite some significant
misgivings about its wisdom, mainly because it does have such a low
impact. But then other people raised objections. I'm not sure how strong
those objections are, though.

I must say that while the YAML output might look a bit nicer than the
JSON output, the difference strikes me as mostly marginal. But I guess
it's like beauty and obscenity, something in the eye of the beholder. De
gustibus non est disputandum.

cheers

andrew