Re: YAML Was: CommitFest status/management

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: YAML Was: CommitFest status/management
Date: 2009-12-07 16:42:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith wrote:
> That's a step backwards. By providing JSON format, we've also satisfied
> people who want YAML. Ripping out JSON would mean we *only* support
> YAML. There are far many more JSON parsers than YAML parsers, which is
> why I thought the current code committed was good enough.

XML parsers are common enough IMHO the other computer readable formats
can't be that important from a computer-readability perspective, leaving
their main benefit as being human friendly.

I like YAML output; but I think the most compelling arguments against the
patch are that if so many people want different formats it may be a good
use case for external modules. And far more than yaml output, I'd like
to see a flexible module system with an equivalent of "cpan install yaml"
or "gem install yaml".

I suppose one could argue that instead of YAML we design a different
human-oriented format for loosely structured data; but that seems
even harder.