Re: WAL format

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL format
Date: 2009-12-07 20:22:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> In particular I wonder why we bother with the page headers.

Since we re-use the file for a new segment, without overwriting the
old contents, it seems like we would need to do *something* to
reliably determine when we've hit the end of a segment and have
moved into old data from a previous use of the file. Would your
proposed changes cover that adequately? (I'm not sure I understood
your proposal well enough to be comfortable about that.)

-Kevin