Problem installing postgreSQL on windows VM.

From: "Elharar, Oded" <oded(dot)elharar(at)hp(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem installing postgreSQL on windows VM.
Date: 2007-09-19 08:31:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi, Sorry for double sending this but the older post didn't appear on
the list correctly.
Regarding my problem, this seems to be discussed a lot in forums but I
haven't really found a solution to this problem.

The problem:
1. We have a customer trying to install our product on his machine (with
special configuration, more details below). As part of our product
installation, our installer calls the installation of PostgreSQL
(version 8.1) after our installation succeeds.
2. Postgre installation fails, showing a message box with "initdb create
process failed: access denied".
3. The customer swears he is using administrator type user.
4. Our installation uses the large msi with some options (such as user
definition etc.), this installation worked on all machines tested (2000,
2000 via terminal, XP, 2003).

The system:
The system is a win 2000 machine inside VMWare, run on a Unix machine.
Connection is via Terminal or VMWare client. Both ways intallation
fails.
Our product is windows based and cannot be installed on Unix.

Note: We tried to install directly with the installation msi, but that
failed as well because of terminal session.
All posts and replies I read, claimed this was a credentials issue (the
initdb error). If anyone has any idea, it would be appreciated.

We would prefer installing it using the large msi with our options as we
usually do.

Best Regards,

Oded Elharar