Re: performance while importing a very large data set in to database

From: "Ing (dot) Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda" <mlortiz(at)uci(dot)cu>
To: Ashish Kumar Singh <ashishkumar(dot)singh(at)altair(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance while importing a very large data set in to database
Date: 2009-12-05 14:16:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

Ashish Kumar Singh escribió:

> Hello Everyone,
>

> I have a very bit big database around 15 million in size, and the dump
> file is around 12 GB.
>
> While importing this dump in to database I have noticed that initially
> query response time is very slow but it does improves with time.
>
> Any suggestions to improve performance after dump in imported in to
> database will be highly appreciated!
>

> Regards,
>
> Ashish

My suggestion is:
1- Afterward of the db restore, you can do a vacuum analyze manually on
your big tables to erase all dead rows
2- Then you can reindex your big tables on any case that you use it.
3- Then apply A CLUSTER command on the right tables that have these indexes.

Regards

--
"TIP 4: No hagas 'kill -9' a postmaster"

Linux User # 418229
http://www.postgresql-es.org
http://www.postgresql.org
http://www.planetpostgresql.org