Re: Hot Standby remaining issues

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot Standby remaining issues
Date: 2009-12-04 15:29:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> If the system is completely idle, and no WAL is written, we skip
> xlog switches too, even if archive_timeout is set . It would be
> pointless to create a stream of WAL files with no content except
> for the XLOG_SWITCH records.

It's not pointless if you want to monitor that your backup system is
healthy. This was previously mentioned a couple years ago:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-10/msg01448.php

It turns out that it's been working fine under 8.3. Of course, we
can always add a crontab job to do some small bogus update to force
WAL switches, so it's not the end of the world if we lose the 8.3
behavior; but my preference would be that if a WAL switch interval
is specified, the WAL files switch at least that often.

-Kevin