Re: Postgres performance on Veritas VxVM

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: River Tarnell <river(at)loreley(dot)flyingparchment(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres performance on Veritas VxVM
Date: 2009-12-02 17:16:04
Lists: pgsql-general

River Tarnell wrote:
> I'm now running a test using VxFS on SVM soft partitions to see if that
> improves performance at all (but I'd much rather have the flexibility of
> VxVM).

Flexibility is often expensive from a performance point of view. We
regularly tell people here that they have to avoid using Linux's LVM for
similar reasons--while it shouldn't be so slow, it is. Nothing you can
do about it but use direct disk partitions instead if you need the
performance to be good.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com