Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date: 2007-05-18 16:40:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On May 17, 2007, at 7:41 PM, Shashank Tripathi wrote:

> But even today, when I have both MySQL and PgSQL, here is how they
> function:
>
> 1. MySQL: I login to cpanel, then I click on PhpMyAdmin and boom, I'm
> using the database. It.just.works.
>
> 2. PgSQL: I login to cpanel, then I click on PhpPgAdmin, and the login
> does not work. I try the password I have given to my entire root
> account, that doesn't work either. I then try the username and
> password for user 'psql' and that doesn't work either. I write to my
> hosting provider, and wait. Google finds this -
> http://faq.cpanel.net/show.cgi?qa=110252867609499 - which I personally
> understand, but I think, hmm this is why Johnny Average doesn't use
> Postgres yet.

It sounds like CPanel is broken. This doesn't surprise me, but
I'm surprised you're not recognizing what you're seeing.

I distribute an application that bundles Postgresql. It preloads
user accounts and sets up authentication automatically at
installation. It's not entirely trivial to get everything right, but
it only took me a couple of hours to write the code to do it.
Works fine, many deployed sites, no reports of problems ever.

So... wrapping an application specific installation and
post-installation configuration wrapper around postgresql
is pretty trivial.

Have you contacted Cpanel and asked them to fix their
code? What was their response?

Cheers,
Steve