Locale query

From: "admin(at)buydirect(dot)net(dot)au" <admin(at)buydirect(dot)net(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Locale query
Date: 2009-11-28 10:46:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have a query re localization. I am running Centos 4.3 and am using a
CMS using Postgresql 8.1.18-2 (installed via yum).

The documentation for the CMS advise to ensure Postgresql is initialised
with C locale for performance reasons. To accomplish they advise:

1. in /etc/sysconfig/i18n replace LANG="en_US.UTF-8" with LANG=""
2. After installing Postgresql with:

initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data --locale=C

I have done the above but when I run su postgres then 'locale' I get the
following:

LANG=
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

My Postgresql.conf however has the following locale settings:

**# - Locale and Formatting -**

#datestyle = 'iso, mdy'
#timezone = unknown # actually, defaults to TZ
# environment setting
#australian_timezones = off
#extra_float_digits = 0 # min -15, max 2
#client_encoding = sql_ascii # actually, defaults to database
# encoding

# These settings are initialized by initdb -- they might be changed
lc_messages = 'C' # locale for system error message
# strings
lc_monetary = 'C' # locale for monetary formatting
lc_numeric = 'C' # locale for number formatting
lc_time = 'C' # locale for time formatting

Is everything ok with the above or something has gone wrong? I guess I
was expecting the locale command would show C instead of POSIX.

Thanks!!
Andy