Re: Bestpractice for upgrading from enterpriseDB 8.3.3 to rpm 8.4.1.

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Chris Barnes <compuguruchrisbarnes(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bestpractice for upgrading from enterpriseDB 8.3.3 to rpm 8.4.1.
Date: 2009-11-27 11:36:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris Barnes wrote:
> Is there anyone that has installed enterpriseDB (833) and upgraded to
> later version or 8.4.1 using rpms?
>
> I am wondering what the best path would be to upgrade from
> enterpriseDB.

I don't know the precise changes between the E-DB rpms and the community
ones, but the procedure for both should be the same.

> Can I do an upgrade from enterpriceDB 8.3.3 to rpms 8.3.8 without
> dumping and restoring the database?

Should be fine. Worth checking the release-notes, but the developers
only change on-disk formats if there is no alternative. It should just
be a matter of stop-db, upgrade rpm, restart db.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/release.html

Of course - make sure you have (1) A good backup and (2) copies of the
original RPMs somewhere. Doesn't hurt to be paranoid.

> When going from enterpricedb 8.3.3 to 8.4.1 using rpms, can I have
> them simultaneously run in parrellel and export/import and remove
> enterprisedb 8.3.3 later, would there be any issues? I'm guessing I
> would have to install 8.4.1, configure for port (5433) and run them
> in parellel to accomplish this?

Debian's packaging system lets you do this. I don't know if you can with
RPMs - it might be that both packages try to save postgresql.conf in the
same place for example.

If it's not possible, you could always compile your own version of 8.4
(it's simple enough and will sit in /usr/local/ out of the way). Then,
once you've transferred the data, replace the RPMs and restore from a
native 8.4 dump.

HTH

--
Richard Huxton