Re: WIP: log query in auto-explain

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: log query in auto-explain
Date: 2009-11-24 03:06:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>

>> Basically it includes the text of the query being explained in the
>> explain output.
>>

> I expected the query text is printed in "STATEMENT" section.
> Do you mean the query should be merged into "LOG" section?
> Are there any situation where "STATEMENT" section does not work?

I mean it should be in the Explain output:

<explain xmlns="http://www.postgresql.org/2009/explain">
<Query-Text>SELECT '' AS zero, BOOLTBL1.*
FROM BOOLTBL1
WHERE booleq(bool 'false', f1);</Query-Text>
<Plan>
<Node-Type>Seq Scan</Node-Type>
<Relation-Name>booltbl1</Relation-Name>
<Alias>booltbl1</Alias>
<Startup-Cost>0.00</Startup-Cost>
<Total-Cost>42.88</Total-Cost>
<Plan-Rows>877</Plan-Rows>
<Plan-Width>1</Plan-Width>
<Filter>booleq(false, f1)</Filter>
</Plan>
</explain>

This is especially important for structured output like XML and/or JSON.
A number of users (including me) badly want to be able to extract the
explain output from the log files with the query text included.

cheers

andrew