How identify a long running transaction

From: Bill Todd <pg(at)dbginc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How identify a long running transaction
Date: 2009-11-24 02:09:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Using 8.4.1. How can I

1) Get the transaction id of the oldest serializable transaction and the
next transaction?

2) A list of all active transactions

I have searched the docs and tried Google but I must not be using the
right terminology.

Also, am I correct in assuming that vacuuming is not blocked by a long
running read committed transaction but only by the oldest serializable
transaction?

Any references to relevant documentation would be appreciated.

Bill