DEFAULT of domain ignored in plpgsql (8.4.1)

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Postgresql-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: DEFAULT of domain ignored in plpgsql (8.4.1)
Date: 2009-11-20 02:06:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

It seems that pl/pgsql ignores the DEFAULT value of domains for local
variables. With the following definitions in place

create domain myint as int default 0;
create or replace function myint() returns myint as $body$
declare
v_result myint;
begin
return v_result;
end;
$body$ language plpgsql immutable;

issuing
select myint();
returns NULL, not 0 on postgres 8.4.1

If the line
v_result myint;
is changes to
v_result myint default 0;
than 0 is returned as expected.

I've tried to create a patch, but didn't see how I'd convert the result
from get_typedefault() (A Node*, presumeably the parsetree corresponding
to the default expression?) into a plan that I could store in a
PLpgSQL_expr. I guess I'd need something like SPI_prepare_plan that
takes a parse tree instead of a query string. Or am I on a completely
wrong track there?

While trying to cook up a patch I've also stumbled over what I perceive
as a bug relating to DOMAINS and column DEFAULTs. I'll write that up in
a second E-Mail to avoid confusion.

best regards,
Florian Pflug