Re: actualised funcs typmod patch

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Dimitri Fontaine" <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: actualised funcs typmod patch
Date: 2009-11-17 20:14:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> sorry, it's problem in my english

In hopes that it may help overcome the language barrier if someone
restates the issue in different words, I'll echo Tom's concerns, which
I share.

> This cannot change an behave of older applications.

Agreed. That's not the problem.

> if somebody use explicit typmod in CREATE FUNCTION statement, then
> he get different behave. But he have to do it explicitly in 8.5.

The problem here is that we are then committed to supporting that
behavior forever. There are many different options for what behavior
could and should be supported for this syntax, and we don't want to
get locked in to one of those options by happenstance. We want the
options to be discussed by the community prior to getting locked in to
something. It would be unusual for one individual to pick a direction
for something like this and to come up with a decision which is as
good, in the long run, as consensus coming out of the synergy of group
discussion could generate.

-Kevin