Re: Is Diskeeper Automatic Mode safe?

From: Robert Schnabel <schnabelr(at)missouri(dot)edu>
To: cb <cb(at)mythtech(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is Diskeeper Automatic Mode safe?
Date: 2009-11-16 18:11:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

cb wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone else has used Diskeeper's Automatic Mode in
> combination with PostgreSQL to defrag and keep the drive defragged
> while PostgreSQL is actually running.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -chris
> <www.mythtech.net>

I've been a Diskeeper customer for about 10 years now and consider it
'must have' software for Windows machines. I do not work for them nor
get paid by them, I just find the software incredibly valuable. I'm
running XP-64bit with 8.4.0 and Diskeeper does a wonderful job of
defragmenting the database tables when they get fragmented. I just
checked their website and the 2009 version is still listed. I've been
running the 2010 Enterprise Server version for about a week and I can
tell you that it's great! (I'm actually running it on 3 servers but
only mine has PG) The main difference with the 2010 version is
something that they call IntelliWrite. As everyone knows, one of the
biggest problems with the Windows OS is that it lets fragmentation occur
in the first place. This new IntelliWrite actually prevents the
fragmentation from occurring in the first place (or at least the vast
majority of it). The auto defrag takes care of the rest. I can attest
to this actually working in real life scenarios. The other thing
Diskeeper has is something they call I-FAAST. What this does is monitor
file usage and moves the most heavily accessed files to the fastest part
of the drive. My db is on an Adaptec 52445 with 16 ST373455SS (15K5) in
RAID5 and Diskeeper defrags and moves pretty much everything in
\data\base to the outer part of the drive. So the short answer is yes,
I have it running with PostgreSQL and have not had any problems.

Bob