Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: /home/peter/commit-msg

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: /home/peter/commit-msg
Date: 2009-11-16 08:32:59
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> So we could rewrite the git history too, and I think it would be quite
> nice to have the right commit message there as well. But I don't care
> enough to volunteer to do the legwork. If we are going to do it, we
> should do it as soon as possible, while we're only a couple of commits
> ahead of that point. It's going to be more painful later on.

We had a little chat with Magnus, and decided to stop the cron job that
updates the git mirror. The commit with wrong commit message is
currently the latest commit, so it'll be quite painless to back it out
now before more commits are mirrored. However, Magnus is just getting on
a plane, so he doesn't want to back out the commit right now because he
wouldn't have time to fix it if something goes wrong. Stopping the
mirror buys us time to do it later and test it properly, and if we
decide to leave it as it is in the end, we can just re-enable the cron job.

In any case, we'll have the mirroring re-enabled in a couple of days.

--
Heikki Linnakangas