Re: named parameters in SQL functions

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: named parameters in SQL functions
Date: 2009-11-16 03:14:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:

>>> Well that is the tricky part, for sure. I would personally prefer
>>> something like ${name} rather than a prefix, but I think you're likely
>>> to veto that outright. So, anything reasonably short would be an
>>> improvement over the status quo. self? this? my?
>>>
>> I think it would have to be a reserved word. The obvious existing keyword to
>> use is "function" but unless I'm mistaken we'd need to move it from
>> unreserved keyword to reserved, and I'm not sure this would justify that.
>>

> I don't see why it would need to be a reserved word. We're not
> changing how it gets parsed, just what it means. At any rate
> "FUNCTION." is a 9-character prefix, which is rather longer than I
> would prefer. PL/pgsql is a tiresomely long-winded language in
> general, IMHO, although some of Tom's changes for 8.5 will help with
> that.

Umm, what has this to do with plpgsql? We're talking about what to use
in pure SQL functions.

If you find plpgsql tiresome, use something else. There are plenty of
alternatives.

I think the debate is likely to be pointless in any case - it seems
clear that there are objections to anything other than
funcname.paramname as a disambiguating mechanism, so let's just go with
that. It will still be a considerable advance.

cheers

andrew