SSD + RAID

From: Laszlo Nagy <gandalf(at)shopzeus(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SSD + RAID
Date: 2009-11-13 12:46:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello,

I'm about to buy SSD drive(s) for a database. For decision making, I
used this tech report:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16255/9
http://techreport.com/articles.x/16255/10

Here are my concerns:

* I need at least 32GB disk space. So DRAM based SSD is not a real
option. I would have to buy 8x4GB memory, costs a fortune. And
then it would still not have redundancy.
* I could buy two X25-E drives and have 32GB disk space, and some
redundancy. This would cost about $1600, not counting the RAID
controller. It is on the edge.
* I could also buy many cheaper MLC SSD drives. They cost about
$140. So even with 10 drives, I'm at $1400. I could put them in
RAID6, have much more disk space (256GB), high redundancy and
POSSIBLY good read/write speed. Of course then I need to buy a
good RAID controller.

My question is about the last option. Are there any good RAID cards that
are optimized (or can be optimized) for SSD drives? Do any of you have
experience in using many cheaper SSD drives? Is it a bad idea?

Thank you,

Laszlo