Re: Patch committers

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch committers
Date: 2009-11-11 20:55:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> True, but even I avoid patches I don't understand, and "practicing" by
> applying them could lead to a very undesirable outcome, e.g.
> instability.

The usual type of practice here should come from applying trivial
patches, or ones that don't impact code quality. Docs patches come to
mind as a good way someone could get used to the commit process without
introducing much potential mayhem along the way. As far as keeping new
people away from complicated patches, ultimately you just have to trust
that anyone who can commit has a reasonable idea of their own
capabilities. I seriously doubt you're going to find a new committer
jumping right in by committing hot standby out of the gate just because
they could do so.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com