Re: Converting .mdb Files

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)cyber-office(dot)net>
To: Postgresql PDX_Users <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Converting .mdb Files
Date: 2009-11-11 20:39:59
Lists: pdxpug

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>
>> From what I can deduce the drivers are only available in the Windows
>> version of OOo.
>
> Gee. That's useful. Feh!
>
>> My mdb-tools (0.5-1 on a CentOS 5.4 system) seems to be working OK. I
>> have a 5 GByte mdb that looks to be from the USFS -- Road features from
>> 2006. I was able to -export, -schema, and -tables it fine.
>
>> It you want/can share your file I'll convert for you.
>
> This is a 12.1M file of soils data from the NRCS (nee SCS before they got
> uppity), not at all private. 5G for roads must cover the entire known
> universe.

I think it is the model. There are a bunch of text(510) fields. In fact
all "text" are text(510) and the numbers are double(8). Anyway it is
the IPNF Road Atlas.

> Is the source for the CentOS version available? I'd like to compare that
> to the source I got from sourceforge.net and fix what I have here. I also
> found a .diff patch file so I'll try applying those by hand.

Looks like they came from rpmforge.net (DAG repo) and the package is an
RPM including the sources. Don't know if your distribution can handle
RPMs but here is the link to the .src

http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/mdbtools/mdbtools-0.5-1.rf.src.rpm

Or if you want I can send the tarball (300K) and patch file (1.3K).
Sorry I don't have a ftp site.

\\||/
Rod