Re: next CommitFest

From: Hans-Juergen Schoenig -- PostgreSQL <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: next CommitFest
Date: 2009-11-09 08:46:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

*snip*

> One pretty major fly in the ointment is that neither Hot Standby nor
> Streaming Replication has been committed or shows much sign of being
> about to be committed. I think this is bad. These are big features
> that figure to have some bugs and break some things. If they're not
> committed in time for alpha3, then there won't be any significant
> testing of these prior to alpha4/beta1, at the earliest. I think
> that's likely to lead to either (1) a very long beta period followed
> by a late release or (2) a buggy release. I feel like Simon Riggs and
> Fujii Masao really pulled out all the stops to get these ready in time
> for the September CommitFest, and while I'm not in a hurry to break
> the world, I think the sooner these can hit the tree, the better of
> we'll be in terms of releasing 8.5.
>
> Just my $0.02,

absolutely, we should be commit this.
we did some testing and things look stable.
also, people would most likely want to build code on top of it in be
ready for 8.5 (support scripts, etc.). this is important in order to
create some acceptance in "user land".
this stuffs seems mature and very well thought.

just my $0.02 ...

regards,

hans-jürgen schönig

--