Re: BUG #5174: [minor] directories symlinked into base/ are not recursively removed

From: Richard Neill <rn214(at)hermes(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Richard Neill <rn214(at)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5174: [minor] directories symlinked into base/ are not recursively removed
Date: 2009-11-09 01:04:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Richard Neill" <rn214(at)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk> writes:
>> If subdirectories of base/ are actually symlinks, then postgresql deletes
>> just the symlink, not the directory.
>
> Doing that is completely unsupported, and we cannot be expected to cope
> with random manual modifications to the structure of the database.

That's a fair point, although as I understand it, it's reasonable to
move, say, pg_xlog in that manner.

Why
> didn't you use a tablespace like you're supposed to?

Because it wasn't supposed to be anything other than a temporary
workaround, and because I had only 5 minutes of downtime in which to
find more diskspace!

Anyway, I guess that's another "bug" report of mine that turns out to be
useless :-)

Best wishes,

Richard