Re: Where I can find "SSL specification"?

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: Raimon Fernandez <coder(at)montx(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where I can find "SSL specification"?
Date: 2009-11-05 08:15:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Raimon Fernandez wrote:
>> heck, you have to be a glutton to want to use libssl from openssl...
>> there's something like 158 APIs and very little documentation on how
>> to properly use them
>
> Doy you mean there's no 'easy' way to start-up an SSL connection from
> a TCP/IP socket to postgresql ????

When you see that "S", you initialize a TLS/SSL connection, some hints
about how SSL works here...

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/ssl/

the *pathetic* official documentation on OpenSSL is here...
http://www.openssl.org/docs/
oops, 214 library functions in libssl, I think I said 148 or something
earlier.
http://www.openssl.org/docs/ssl/ssl.html#API_FUNCTIONS

likely your best bet will be to look at the sources to libpq that deal
with SSL session setup, usage, and teardown, and use the libssl docs as
references for the SSL_xxxxxxx API calls you find there

And you likely will want to get a comprehensive book on programming
SSL/TLS with libssl/openssl

>> Why aren't you using libpq ??!?
>
> I'm doing this as an experiment/hobby, the comunication using TCP/IP
> is really fast, I'm accessing servers that are far away and the speed
> is really great, I have asynchronous comunication, I can show rows as
> they are coming, I don't have to wait before all of them are here,
> it's multi-plattform, my code works on OS X, OS 9, Windows, Linux, and
> I don't know almost nothing about C, linking C libraries, etc. etc.

What are you programming in ? Does it provide native SSL sockets ?
OpenSSL is pretty much all C library programming. Certainly, something
like the native SSL SecureSocket mechanismi in Java are much easier to use