Re: BUG #5145: Complex query with lots of LEFT JOIN causes segfault

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Bernt M(dot) Johnsen" <Bernt(dot)Johnsen(at)Sun(dot)COM>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5145: Complex query with lots of LEFT JOIN causes segfault
Date: 2009-10-30 18:22:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> writes:
>>> this is 8.5a2 configured with ./configure --enable-cassert
>>> --enable-debug and just default settings(ie plain initdb with
>>> default settings).
>>> The OS is Debian Lenny/AMD64.
>>
>> Huh. That should not be noticeably different from my F11/Xeon64
>> machine ... but I still can't make it crash. Somebody else is gonna
>> have to debug this one.
>
> hmm sorry - that was actually Lenny/i386 however I fail to reproduce
> this on some of my other test boxes as well though I don't have an idea
> why it crashes on my laptop(and for the original reporter) but not
> elsewhere :(

ok I now see why you (and I) failed to reproduce the problem - it only
causes clusters/databases to crash that were actually generated using
the upthread mentioned script. it does NOT fail using a dump generated
by a database that fails(!).
So the issue must be a bit more complex and somehow relate to some prior
stuff the script does.

Stefan