Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-28 14:56:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner wrote:
>
>> But I think that's where the rub is -- when you
>> have more than one source for information, what's the precedence?
>
> This is not a problem nowadays because that info is in pg_settings.
> File name and line number.

I'm talking about how the decision should be made as to which takes
precedence. It's fine to document which one *was* chosen, but that
doesn't eliminate the problem of conflicting settings making a mess.
Someone else (Robert maybe?) gave an explicit example of how three
files could have overlapping settings. Of course, *my* tool will name
its configuration file " !.conf".

-Kevin