Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-27 17:06:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>
>> for our 72 production servers for county Circuit Court systems, we
>> copy an identical postgresql.conf file to each county, with the
>> last line being an include to an overrides conf file in /etc/.
>> For most counties that file is empty.

> That's exactly a use case the "parsing config files in a directory"
> feature aims to make easier to manage. You can just mix and match
> files

Mixing and matching files in a subdirectory would not make the control
and auditing of a small number of cluster-specific overrides to a
single standard configuration file easier.

I wasn't arguing against adding the feature, since it appears to be
useful for some environments; I was responding to Robert's musing
about it helping his single-cluster environment, but not knowing about
the impact on those with larger numbers of clusters. I have 200
clusters. I understand the proposal. I see no benefit to me.

-Kevin, the troglodyte ;-)