Re: Anonymous Code Blocks as Lambdas?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Code Blocks as Lambdas?
Date: 2009-10-26 23:21:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Pavel Stehule wrote:
> 2009/10/26 David E. Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>:
>
>> On Oct 26, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>>

>>> it should be light relation. 'DO' should be parametrised, and psql can
>>> use own variables as 'DO' parameters.
>>>
>> I see, because `DO` is a statement, not an expression. Thus arguments don't
>> really make much sense (I wish it was an expression!).
>>

> uff. How you would to write scripts? How you would to join client side
> and server side? What I know, statements in PostgreSQL are
> parametrised - INSERT, SELECT and others.

They are not arbitrarily parameterized at all. Just try using a
parameter for a table name. And not all statements accept parameters.

You are making a quite false comparison here.

>> I don't think it's a good idea to tie SQL syntax to a feature of a client,
>> though.
>>

> DO should have any syntax. Other than I wrote. It isn't important in
> this moment. Do without parametrsation has not full power. It is like
> EXECUTE without USING clause. Sure. You can live without it, but the
> live with it is much more confortable.

There is no proof at all of this. We have not even released this feature
into the field and already you are declaring it inadequate. That
declaration is at best premature.

cheers

andrew