Re: Warm standby problems

From: "David F(dot) Skoll" <dfs(at)roaringpenguin(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Warm standby problems
Date: 2009-10-26 20:32:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tom Lane wrote:

> No; there's no WAL change between 8.3.7 and 8.3.8. What seems more
> likely is that you're somehow shipping the WAL files before they're
> quite finished.

I doubt it. Our archive_command works like this:

1) scp the file over to the backup server as root. It's stored in a
file named <name_of_wal>.NEW

2) When the scp finishes, ssh to the standby server and chown it to postgres.

3) Then, ssh to the standby server and rename the <name_of_wal>.NEW
file to the real WAL filename.

Only after step (3) does our standby script even see the file.

So unless there's a possibility that the master server invokes our archive
script before the WAL has finished being written, I can't see how this
could happen.

Regards,

David.