How do you get the year from a postgresql DATE?

From: Mary Anderson <maryfran(at)demog(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How do you get the year from a postgresql DATE?
Date: 2009-10-23 23:59:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi guys,

Honest, I am not really a newbie, but I don't see any postgresql
function to do this in the documentation. I want to do something like

CREATE TABLE mydate(fu DATE);
INSERT INTO mydate VALUES ('2000-01-01');
SELECT EXTRACT(YEAR FROM DATE fu) FROM mydate;

and get 2000.

But I get a syntax error for the EXTRACT statement when I do this.

SELECT EXTRACT(YEAR FROM DATE '2000-01-01') works just fine. But how do
I get a postgres DATE from a column in a table into EXTRACT as the last
argument?

This can't be all that hard!

Mary