Re: Controlling changes in plpgsql variable resolution

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Controlling changes in plpgsql variable resolution
Date: 2009-10-21 20:05:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/21/09 1:02 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> That's what the #option alternative is for. Yes, it's a bit ugly, but
>> it's perfectly functional, and secure too.
>
> I still don't see why it's needed. If the function owner simply sets
> the option in the function definitions (as a userset), it doesn't matter
> what the calling user sets, does it?
>
> All that's needed is a scripting example to set this in all function
> definitions as a regular setting.

Actually, to follow this up: there would be *huge* utility in ALTER
FUNCTION name SET setting=value statement. This would help people do
all the "lock down" things we want to do with function definitions.

There'd also be utility in a default set of guc settings for new
functions, but maybe we should put that off ...

--Josh