Re: Application name patch - v2

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Application name patch - v2
Date: 2009-10-20 14:52:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> 2009/10/20 Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>:
>>> Yeah, and there's a similar API on *BSD I believe, but nothing standard.
>
>> Right, but it might be worth investigating using the API that's
>> available on the platform, if one is. It's a fairly simple operation
>> after all, so it won't take huge amounts of platform-specific code.
>
> It would be a seriously bad idea for this to behave one way on some
> platforms and differently on others.

Why would that be so bad? On platforms that support getting argv[0],
you'd get "mycoolapp" in the application name by default. On others,
you'd get something like "unknown libpq app". And if you care enough,
you can override it in the application or with the environment variable.
Seems quite sane and harmless to me.

--
Heikki Linnakangas