Re: Controlling changes in plpgsql variable resolution

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Controlling changes in plpgsql variable resolution
Date: 2009-10-19 18:07:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> (a) Nobody but me is afraid of the consequences of treating this as
> a GUC.

Well, it seems dangerous to me, but I'm confident we can cover this
within our shop, so I'm reluctant to take a position on it. I guess
the main question is whether we want to allow an Oracle-compatibility
mode, knowing it's a foot-gun. Without it we'd likely make extra work
for someone converting from Oracle to PostgreSQL, although they would
be likely to fix bugs during the cleanup work. Based on previous
decisions I've seen here, I would have expected people to just go with
an error, period; especially since it would simplify the code.

> (b) Everybody agrees that a "throw error" setting would be helpful.

That's the only setting I would use on any of our databases, if it
were a GUC.

-Kevin