Re: Concurrency testing

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Concurrency testing
Date: 2009-10-09 19:04:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Markus Wanner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> I even started a DBT2 implementation as tsung modules, back when
>> returning from pgcon 2006:
>>
>> http://tapoueh.org/misc.html#sec7
>> darcs get http://pgsql.tapoueh.org/dbt2-tsung/
>
> Now *that* is very cool! I definitely need to have a look at it.
>
> Have you tried Sun Faban? It allows to manage test runs, compare test
> results and configurations and features a web interface. Pretty nice
> as well. But it's all Java, which I like even less than Perl.
>
> However, as far as I know, neither of the two support downloading code
> from a repository and building automatically, before testing. While
> the buildfarm already does that (partly, testing single patches would
> be a nice to have, too).

It does, sort of. It has a switch called --from-source which lets you
specify a local source repository, which can be something you've applied
a patch to.

Use of this switch disables fetching the source code, checking it for
cleanliness, and uploading the results to the central server.

It was designed for testing patches.

Here's how I use it:

pushd srcroot/HEAD
cp -a pgsql pgsql.thistest
cd pgsql.thistest
cvs update
patch -p 0 < /path/to/patch_to_test
popd
./run_build.pl --verbose --from-source=`pwd`/srcroot/HEAD/pgsql.thistest

cheers

andrew