Re: CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION vs ownership

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION vs ownership
Date: 2009-10-02 00:52:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David E. Wheeler escreveu:
> On Oct 1, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> My inclination is to think that the right behavior for REPLACE FUNCTION
>> is to keep the old proowner and proacl values, because that's what it
>> always has done and nobody's complained. But I suppose a case could
>> be made that you're completely replacing the function and so you should
>> replace its ownership/permissions too. The CREATE FUNCTION reference
>> page fails to specify either way, which is a documentation bug as well.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> The latter, I think. If I replace a function, I should be the new owner.
> To me it makes no sense for someone else to own it.

Hmm... Using the same logic, if I add a new column should I be the table
owner? If you're changing the function that is because you have permission.

IMHO the owner should be preserved. In my mind, REPLACE is for changing the
content and not the properties (name, owner, etc).

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
http://www.timbira.com/