Re: numeric_to_number() function skipping some digits

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jeevan Chalke" <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"daveg" <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
Subject: Re: numeric_to_number() function skipping some digits
Date: 2009-10-01 00:08:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> writes:
>> daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net> wrote:
>
>>> It seems worse to to give a wrong answer silently then to throw an
>>> error. What we do now seems sort of MySqlish.
>
>> I agree with David on that.
>
> So who is volunteering to do the presumably rather major rewrite
> involved?

We don't typically identify an author before putting something on the
TODO list.

That said, this one seems like it would be within my skill set. I
seem to have trouble finding tasks that are for which we can get
consensus, so I just might pick this one up if we achieve such
consensus on it. The biggest problem, should I take it on, would be
that I don't currently have access to an Oracle database, so someone
would have to supply me with accurate specs for how it should behave,
or point to unambiguous documentation.

-Kevin