what comes after apt-get for a Debian installation?

From: "Wm(dot)A(dot)Stafford" <stafford(at)marine(dot)rutgers(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: what comes after apt-get for a Debian installation?
Date: 2009-09-24 19:39:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm trying to install Postgres on a Debian machine. I did a successful
apt-get. At this point I'm not sure how to proceed. I have seen
several web sites with similiar instructions
(http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/postgresql.htm), but I don't see anything
similiar in the Postgres documentation.

Question 1: what is the next step?

Question 2: can someone recommend a documentation page that explains
what to do?

Question 3: I'm totally confused about permissions. What portion of the
install must be done as a linux super user and what can be done as a
postgres user?

Thanks for any help and/or guidance,
-=beeky