Re: High CPU load on Postgres Server during Peak times!!!!

From: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: Dave Dutcher <dave(at)tridecap(dot)com>
Cc: 'Shiva Raman' <raman(dot)shivag(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High CPU load on Postgres Server during Peak times!!!!
Date: 2009-09-24 18:45:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

Dave Dutcher wrote:
> You need a COMMIT for every BEGIN. If you just run a SELECT statement
> without first beginning a transaction, then you should not end up with a
> connection that is Idle in Transaction. If you are beginning a transaction,
> doing a select, and then not committing, then yes that is a bug.

The BEGIN can be hidden, though. For example, if the application is written in Perl,

$dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, $user, $pass, {AutoCommit => 0});

will automatically start a transaction the first time you do anything. Under the covers, the Perl DBI issues the BEGIN for you, and you have to do an explicit

$dbh->commit();

to commit it.

Craig