Re: numeric_to_number() function skipping some digits

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: numeric_to_number() function skipping some digits
Date: 2009-09-22 12:51:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeevan Chalke escreveu:
> That means we cannot simply ignore such characters from the input.
> Rather we can process the string R-L. But yes this will definitely going
> to break the current applications running today.

IIRC we tight the to_char() and to_timestamp() input for 8.4. Why don't we do
it for to_number() too? The fact of breaking application is not a strong
argument against having compatibility with Oracle to_*() functions. People
that are building applications around these two databases and are using the
to_*() functions are expecting that the behavior being the same (i didn't
remember any complaints about that but ...).

So +1 for this TODO.

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
http://www.timbira.com/