pg_hba.conf problem in PostgreSQL 8.4 (no-installer)

From: Paweł Nieścioruk <pawelni(at)uhc(dot)com(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_hba.conf problem in PostgreSQL 8.4 (no-installer)
Date: 2009-09-21 09:08:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I'm developing JSF web application in Java with Tomcat and PostgreSQL on
the server. I use PostgreSQL 8.x NO INSTALLER version (zip file).
Everything work fine until I moved from PostgreSQL 8.2 to PostgreSQL 8.4
- now I have problems with starting registered PostgreSQL service on
Windows XP Prof or Windows Vist (Home Premium). The problem is connected
with pg_hba.conf entries.

Detailed description of the whole process:

My Java code registers PostgeSQL service under Windows by executing
command:
"C:\Program Files\MyApplication\database/bin/pg_ctl" -D "C:\Program
Files\MyApplication\database\data" register -N PostgreSQL_Service
It works OK (I am doing this on local account with administrator
privilleges, I have database cluster generated before) - the service is
registered for Local Service Account. Now my Java code tries to start
the service using command "sc.exe start PostgreSQL_Service". And this
fails.

I would like to use ONE COMMON pg_hba.conf file for XP and Vista. When I
had PostgreSQL 8.2 version, the file has those entries:

# IPv4 local connections:
host all root 127.0.0.1/32 md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host all root ::1/32 md5

And it WORKED OK for BOTH Windows XP and Vista. Now we changed
PostgreSQL to version 8.4 (still no-installer version) and our
pg_hba.conf file looks like this now:

# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 md5

When last line (IPv6) is present it, registered service does NOT start
under Windows XP BUT WORKS under Vista (this XP windows have only IPv4
protocol and it is enabled, Vista have both IPv4 and IPv6 installed and
enabled) - in the Windows Events Log I see error saying: FATAL: could
not load pg_hba.conf.

When last line is removed (or commented), registered service starts and
WORKS under XP, BUT under VISTA I see error during startup saying about
missing entry for host ::1.

I don't use any antivirus/firewall during the test (it was tested under
clean Windows installation, standard firewall was deactivated also).

The questions are:
1. Is it possible to have such common pg_hba.conf file for XP and Vista
2. Why it worked OK under PostgreSQL 8.2 and under 8.4 it stopped
working (is it somehow connected with fully parsing pg_hba.conf describe
here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.html#RELEASE-8-4-PG-HBA-CONF)

Regards,
Pawel| |